Printing from your personal computer or laptop (Windows 10)
There are two ways you can connect to a printer from your laptop (If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, follow #2):
1. Open the start menu and start typing "printers" until you see the option for "Printers & scanners"
2. Click the first option under Add printers & scanners named Add a printer or scanner
3. Windows will then start populating the list of devices it finds
- ignore the recommendations and instead, click The printer that I want isn't listed
4. You will now be greeted with a new window to Find a printer by other options
- Click the toggle next to the Select a shared printer by name option
- In the text input field, type: http://printhost.math.ias.edu:631/printers/printername
- Click the Next button at the bottom
5. Now you will be presented with a new window entitled Add Printer Wizard
- Under Manufacturer on the left, find and select HP
- Under Printers on the right, find and select HP LaserJet M607 M608 M609 PCL 6 (V3)
- Click OK at the bottom to continue
6. Set up is complete. You will now be told the printer has been added and installed with the driver above
- Click Next at the bottom
- select Print a test page should you desire
- alternatively, click Finish to complete the process
You will now see the newly added printer in your list of devices:
- Type: \\printhost.math.ias.edu
This will bring up a list of printers. Double-click on the printer you want to connect to. You may have to download the correct driver.
- Start->Printers & Faxes:
- Add a printer->Next
- Select "A network printers, or a printer attached to another computer
- Select "Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home or office network"
- Next to "URL" type "http://printhost.math.ias.edu:631/printers/<printer>", where <printer> is defined in Naming Conventions
- Select a driver from the list
- If you need to download and install drivers, click on the appropriate link:
- Dell 5330DN (s[1-2], f[2-4],a1):
- Dell 2330DN (so310):
- HP Color LaserJet 500 M551 (color, fcolor):
- Xerox WorkCentre 7835i (s118):
- Answer if you want to use the printer as the default printer and hit "Next"
- Click on "Finish"