- Click on the Icon that says "Thunderbird" on the lower panel or type thunderbird & at a command line. The following screen will pop up. Select "Email account" and the click on Next.
- Type in your name and E-mail address, then click on Next.
- Select IMAP and type in the server name as shown.
- Type in your username
- Type in the name you would like to refer to the account as
- Click Finish
- A screen will come up that asks you for your password. Type in your password and click OK
- Click OK on the following screen.
- Click on Edit->Account Settings->Outgoing Server(SMTP). Under "Use secure connection", click "TLS"
- Click OK
- Thunderbird 3.0 or later may be able to automatically configure the connection to our email servers.
The first time you invoke a new installation of Thunderbird, you are prompted to create a profile, and then you will be asked to provide details about your email account:
E-mail address: <username>@math.ias.edu (Be sure to put @math.ias.edu or it may fill in the wrong school's e-mail server).
Click on Continue.
- Thunderbird will look up the provider and attempt to determine the server settings.
You will be presented with a dialog box with the settings that were found. Make sure they match up with the Email Information page.
- If things look good, click on the Create Account button. If not, click on Edit or Manual Setup.
Follow the instructions above for help with Manual configuration.